Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice


The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets addresses post-WWII England, following a young girl living with her brother and mother in an old house whose upkeep is draining their resources. When she meets a maniac and spontaneous girl named Charlotte, she is pulled into a journey of self-discovery and healing.

I'm a most picky reader, and these days it takes a lot for a book to absorb me like this one did. Though a little predictable and a slightly muddled ending, the characters drew me in and made me giggle and smile a lot while reading. I can assure you this doesn't normally happen. The world was very rich and the language fresh. The thing that keeps this book from being just a fun, well-written read was Eva Rice's subtle and wonderful sense of humor. She approaches many situations with a charming satire and her quirky characters come up with fabulous one-liners. I only wish the novel had been more thoroughly soaked with this humor.

This novel is a quick and thoroughly enjoyable read (though I can't speak for the men). Funny, sweet, and just a bit heartwarming, this novel will definitely cheer you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment